Furthermore, the study revealed differences between the average amounts of time spent in schoolyards by Children and Adolescents.
In comparison with Adolescents, Children spent more time in all schoolyard areas except for Natural areas.
The greater amount of time spent by Children might be explained by the fact that, according to the regulations at all four schools, Children could not leave the schoolyard during lunch time, but Adolescents could when they wanted to.
When looking at the degree of physical activity, researchers discovered differences among the schoolyard areas.
Students were most active in Grass and Playground areas. On the other hand, students were quite passive in Solid Surface areas, with Adolescents spending only 7% of their time there being physically active.
(Henriette Bondo Andersen 他 (2015) Objectively Measured Differences in Physical Activity in Five Types of Schoolyard Area を参考に作成)
According to the passage, what is the difference between Multi-court and Solid Surface?
(1) Unlike Multi-court, Solid Surface contains artificial grass for younger students to play on.
(2) Unlike Multi-court, Solid Surface does not contain boundaries marked for students’ games.
(3) Unlike Solid Surface, Multi-court has a relatively soft surface made of various materials.
(4) Unlike Solid Surface, Multi-court is not surrounded by anything, which makes it easy to access.
In Figure 1, which of the following do A, B, C, and D refer to?
(1) discuss the benefits of being physically active at school in childhood
(2) give advice to increase the number of physically active adolescents
(3) introduce schools that encourage students to play on grassed areas
(4) show that types of schoolyards affect students’ behavior there
What topic is most likely to follow the last paragraph?
(1) The benefits of studying various school environments for different activities
(2) The connections between types of games and lengths of time being active
(3) The influence of the schoolyard environment on Adolescents’ physical activity
(4) The way schoolyard surfaces affect the time spent doing physical activity